Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Project 2: Scroll Down


This project is focusing on time and space in the digital and physical worlds. I am specifically focusing on Marshall McLuhan’s idea of “allatonceness” and that “Information pours upon us, instantaneously and continuously. As soon as information is acquired, it is very rapidly replaced by still newer information.” In his book The Medium is the Massage, written in the 1960’s, he discusses a new city of the future that he terms “an information megalopolis,” which I represent via the Internet and social media. Generally, I think McLuhan views this continuous stream of information as a positive thing and a way to connect people, but I aim to show through this video that it also makes us less aware of where we are in physical space. Thinking about time, it also takes us out of the present and places us in a vacuum of “internet time”, which seems to go faster and consumes our awareness of the present.  


How much time do you spend each day scrolling down? 



2 comments:

  1. I like your premise. I can't help but reflect on how much I scroll through the internet each day (a lot, I do it a lot) after watching your video. The interspersing of the footage of the house being torn down works well to convey your idea that while we're scrolling, the world is still turning and time is passing. Nice job!

    (Also, we have very similar twitter/tumblr feeds)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I thought your film had some really nice humor thrown into the mix that really lent a metaphorical edge to the overall message. I wouldn't necessarily call it subtle, with the digger tearing up stuff, but it definitely got the message across for me. For instance, when the machine was repeatedly smashing whatever was in the waste container, it made me think of an impatient person repeatedly slamming his head onto a table, which I thought was a cool thread into the idea of digital media encouraging the growth of short attention spans when one doesn't get immediate satisfaction from the technology one's using. I definitely think it would be great if you continued doing more visual projects that extrapolate on the idea of using images that attribute obvious but clever irony to whatever subject matter you cover in the future.

    ReplyDelete