Monday, March 16, 2015

Final Project: Viral Video


My final project consists of a YouTube channel dedicated to deconstructing and reconstructing viral videos. This was an ambitious project, which predictably, turned out to be not quite as ambitious as I originally hoped, but it was still very interesting and I hope to continue with it. I ended up with three videos, one centered on walking/dancing, one on music, and one on kids/babies. The more I think about it the more I realize how many directions are possible with this project; it's a miracle I managed to narrow down those three. Anyway, here are the three videos:








The YouTube channel: click here.

The thing that struck me thinking about allatonceness and the global village is that these viral videos have managed to get at basic ideas/emotions that connect us all: laughing, dancing, confusion, shock, music, etc. For the most part, they connect to people on a very basic level, and that's what makes them not only entertaining but shareable. For all of our supposed complexity in the digital age, all it really takes is a cat video to connect millions of people. 

4 comments:

  1. This turned into a really cool project! I really like the way you manipulated sound as the video progressed. It's simultaneously funny and extremely uncomfortable. haha nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do more! I like the combo of sounds in the first video and the transitions in the second. Great edits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THESE ARE AMAZING. You should do this for a living. I love how you made the audio from one video fit the lip movements of someone in another video, and other such things. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may end up doing this for a living if you keep going with it as this seems rather monetize-able as well as legit art. (and yes, AMAZING) There may be property issues, especially if there's more than 5 sec. chunks, but maybe not. Super-short 15-30 sec. versions of these could work. That's actually a freshly-sheared sheep. We all want to see the private one!

    ReplyDelete